COUNTRY COMMUNITY TEAMS FOR AUG. 13 BENEFIT FOR MEL McDANIEL
Nashville Palace Serves As Host Site for Concert/Silent Auction to Aid Opry Member
Friends and fellow country artists of Grand Ole Opry member Mel McDaniel have joined forces deliver a music-filled, star-laced benefit concert and auction Thursday, Aug. 13, for the ailing singer.
McDaniel was hospitalized July 6 following a mid-June heart attack and placed in a medically induced coma by doctors. On July 22, an Opry spokeswoman reported that the Oklahoma-born singer, whose hits include “Stand Up,” “Baby’s Got Her Blue Jeans On” and “Louisiana Saturday Night,” was being released to a rehabilitative center for continuing care.
In a collective effort to assist McDaniel and wife Peggy with their mounting medical costs, members of the Nashville country-music community have organized a 6-10 p.m. concert and silent auction at the famed Nashville Palace, 2611 McGavock Pike, with proceeds benefiting singer-songwriter McDaniel.
Broadcast veteran Keith Bilbrey reportedly is set to emcee the event, which will feature guest performances by some of McDaniel’s Opry family, including Little Jimmy Dickens, Jean Shepherd and Jim Ed Brown, as well as Rick Blaylock, Alison Clements, Jared Rogers, Tommy Cash, Buddy Jewel, David Ball, Guy Gilcrest, T-Bell, Jet Jurgensmeyer, Helen Cornelius, Ken Peletier, Ricky Lynn Gregg, Jimmy Fortune, T. Graham Brown, Billy Are, Hank Beach, Charlie Louvin, Don Wayne, Jack Greene, Jimmy C. Newman, Larry Paxton and Candi Apple Red, among others. McDaniel’s band, Oklahoma Wind, will provide backing music for the lineup.
“Mel and his wife are such dear people and friends to so many,” said InLight Records artist and volunteer performer Tommy Cash. “We hope to have a great turnout for this event and make some great music along the way. Our prayers and thoughts are with the McDaniel family at this difficult time.”
Benefit organizers report that thus far more than 50 items have been donated for auction, including the following:
• One-week stay in Gatlinburg (three stays up for auction)
• Two guitars autographed by Opry Members
• One “Ole Mel” logo guitar with Mel’s likeness painted by artist Guy Gilchrist
• Larry Black Family Reunion DVD sets (three sets)
• Dinner at Blue Moon Lagoon ($75)
• Three-day Stays at Two Rivers Campground (two stays valued at 110 each)
• Golfing at Gaylord Springs Golf Links (two)
• Electronic/digital fire-proof safe ($339 value)
• Dewalt radio ($140 value)
• Tours from Tommy’s Tours for two people (two tours for auction)
• Guitar autographed by Carrie Underwood
• Two-night stay at Gaylord Opryland with dinner for two at Volare (694 value)
• Bob Evans gift certificates
• CDs, T-shirts, pictures of many artists
• Autographed Titans football
TICKETS: Tickets to the Aug. 13 benefit concert/auction, available at the door only, are $10 per person. (No presale tickets available for this event.) For additional admission or ticket information, please contact the venue at 615-889-1540 or visit www.nashvillepalace.net.